Monday 1 October 2012

As I Lay Dying - Awakened


Awakened is the 6th album from the San Diego Metal Monsters, arguably one of the front runners and founders of the metalcore tag which has been branded about. Awakended pretty much takes over where the Powerless Rise lets off, theres no messing about with As I lay Dying, no experimenting with other popular fads. Its Just full force metal with crunching riffs, intense vocals and catchy chorus's which will have you singing along. Is this as good as previous albums then probably not, As I lay Dying have set the bar really high, not just for themselves but the genre as a whole, whilst it is a good album, theres not as memorable moments and some of the songs sound like filler and don't have the same impact, The album starts of in incredible form with "Cauterize," and especially "A Great Foundation," been two of the favourites, that really get you pumping and smashing up the nearest thing you grab. The chorus to "A Great Foundation," is truly brilliant, nothing less than I would expect. Tims  vocal work is as great as ever throughout the album, and musically its great with some ace whipping riffs and solos its just after a few listens I found many of the songs unrecognisable, They just feel like they are there and not on par with other songs, I see myself skipping towards the truly melt facing songs. Maybe its time As I lay Dying try something different ? no I don't agree they should just keep what they do best, which is pedal to the metal, literally. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the album and they are some brilliant songs, just not enough memorable moments for my liking compared to other albums, will they be able to top The Ocean Between Us, I have my doubts but hopefully I will be proved wrong as there is no doubt on the talent of As I Lay Dying and they will always be a big player on the scene.

Similar Artists - Trivium, Caliban, Heaven Shall Burn, Bullet For My Valentine

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment